Wow what a surprise

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Wow what a surprise

Post by moparmike » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Went to pick up a few parts for my car from a local mopar parts horder and what did I find hiding in his back storage covered in 20 years of dust...................A 1967 GTX complete with the 440 and if that is not enough right beside the GTX is a 1969 Roadrunner complete with a 426 Hemi. Turns out he used to have quite a reputation around here back in the 70's for street racing, he tells me that nobody could beat him in the cars. I told him its a shame that they are just sitting there doing nothing but collecting dust etc.

Man would I love to have either of them but I don't think he will sell them too many past memories
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

quapman
GTX (RS)

Re: Wow what a surprise

Post by quapman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Johnny Thunders said it best:

"You can't put your arm around a memory.....

don't try

don't try."

72V21V25
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Post by 72V21V25 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:35 am

I would luv that 69 Hemi car as most would im sure...Its on my wish list..right next to winning the lotto...

72Satellite440
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Sebring plus

Post by 72Satellite440 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Well best thing to do is give your number and keep checking up on the guy from year to year and maybe one day hell change his mind or need the $ one day-

72Satellite440
72-SaTeLliTe440-Dan

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:50 am

72Satellite440 wrote:Well best thing to do is give your number and keep checking up on the guy from year to year and maybe one day hell change his mind or need the $ one day-

72Satellite440
Only bad thing about that Is he could be the kind of guy that every year he thinks the car gets more valuable.

Unfortunately not too many mopar enthusiasts are clueless to what they have,they are stubborn.
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:35 pm

This is that kind of guy like a lot of guys I meet at swap meets they think that what they have is worth 10 times what it should sell for....He will not sell them :cry: but what he forgets is that he is now 68 years old and someday the cars will be sold when he is no longer able to enjoy them or enjoy the money he would get for them...anyway they sure are nice and literally unmolested since the late 70's what a shame cars like that are meant to be enjoyed not parked collecting dust.
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

1carcrazyguy
GTX (RS)

Post by 1carcrazyguy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:32 pm

moparmike wrote:This is that kind of guy like a lot of guys I meet at swap meets they think that what they have is worth 10 times what it should sell for....He will not sell them :cry: but what he forgets is that he is now 68 years old and someday the cars will be sold when he is no longer able to enjoy them or enjoy the money he would get for them...anyway they sure are nice and literally unmolested since the late 70's what a shame cars like that are meant to be enjoyed not parked collecting dust.

Because the guy is 68, which you must consider old, does this mean that he would or should enjoy the money more than he enjoys "owning" his Mopars? People live into their 90's all the time, so 20 to 25 more years of enjoyable ownership for him is not out of the question. When you look at a stack of money, does it give you a vivid memory? When a car guy looks at a car that they own, they can recall where it came from, the person that they got if from, the stories and all the great memories that they have made while owning it. Why not ask him if there is anyway you can help him enjoy the cars that he loves instead of considering him "to old to own" them?
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus - EV2 / V1W / P6XW Not very nice but it is still wearing original paint and hose clamps!! :)

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 pm

No its that fact that they are not kept well.....tons of crap on top of them tucked away where you have to move crap to get to them...that is not enjoying a car in my mind but to each his own. I guess he must enjoy them in his own way...like you said memories.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:09 am

I know Its not mopar related but Its the same subject basically.Since I was born,a house at the corner of my road has had 2 1967 z/28 Camaros.One orange/white stripes and the other blue/white stripes.They have been in the garage for 20 years rear facing the road and always had tons of stuff packed around and on top of them.Yesterday coming home from being out the owners had both cars out In the driveway turned around,washed.
I do know the father passed away years back.The family probably doesn't want to get rid of them being they were his,or don't want anything to change.They aren't always JUST cars.

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:20 pm

exactly.

Just remember, every time you see a wreck in a junkyard, that was someone's pride and joy when it was new.

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:42 pm

I meant no disrepect I would just love to have either one of these rare beauties...I mean a hemi roadrunner does it get any better than that. Anyway he has been a wealth of knowledge for me and I do understand the memories that is why I own my car. :beer: :beer:

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Re Look at this little beauty

Post by moparmike » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:10 pm

Look at this little beauty
Attachments
cib67hemigtx.jpg
Look at this little beauty
cib67hemigtx.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 10957 times

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Here Is kind of example.

Buddy showed me this link,Its a seller who has A LOT of cars posted on this one site.Just skim through the other makes and find the mopars.Ridiculous prices.

http://www.mautofied.com/sellerprofile/10200227/